Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Chinatown Temples

At the pool yesterday Makoa and Don spoke about balance in life at length. Basically the importance of finding the right balance of family time, work time, play time, alone time, new experience time, home time, etc. Makoa then determined that the balance of Mommy and Daddy time was not equal so today he needed some extra Mommy time :)

He and I went on a date when Tasiana went to bed. Not far, just to a big shopping centre I found - it was hot this morning so we welcomed the air conditioning! We checked out the fish and aquariums at a shop, played on some of those rides where you could put a dollar in but we never do, and looked at all of our dessert options.
 
 We felt refreshed and rebalanced after some chatting and gelato!

We got back just as Tas was waking so we packed up to head to Chinatown to check out the temples and to find some dinner.

First stop, the oldest Hindu temple in Singapore, Sri Mariamman Temple. I studied a semester of Hinduism at Chico State, but I forgot most of it. I remember though my mom bringing me to the temple in Yuba City and there was a framed photo of Shiva and not much else. The place we went today was amazingly beautiful, with statues on the buildings.


Next stop, the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and Museum, just down the road. It too was amazing and we enjoyed walking around and seeing all of the Buddhas covering the walls.


 There is a dining hall at the museum but it already closed, but one of the employees recommended Eight Treasures Restaurant across the road. The food was the best Chinese Vegetarian we have had yet. And Makoa got a little bit on his face :)

I heard last night that "Singapore is a 'fine' city" as in there are fines for everything. We were sure not to break any rules when we road the train, although I am sure we wouldn't be carrying any durians anyway!


Budget:
Accommodation - $188
Food - $65

1 comment:

  1. Aw... I've always dreamed of going to that temple. Way to hit my jealousy nerve :) So glad you got there!

    ReplyDelete