Monday, January 16, 2012

Aquaria

This morning I went to get a coffee and read my book. Where can you get coffee in Kuala Lumpur? Well, Starbucks of course, just across the street from Outback Steakhouse and the Mac Store!

It was extremely hot by the time I got home with groceries at 10:30 so we decided to go out after naptime. The kids slept in until 7:30 this morning so we were not expecting Tasi to sleep until after 2. A late start, but we made up for it :)

On our itinerary today was to check out the aquarium - a Christmas present from Gramma Lolo and Papa. The Aquaria is located near the Petronas Towers and there is a short cut through a large shopping centre called the Pavilion.
It was all decked out for Chinese New Year. With dragons and flowers and red carpets.
Under the giant dragon we found a man making Dragon Beard Candy. I had seen it on a BBC food tour video before so it was fun to watch and eat! While Makoa and I were buying the candy Don was on Tasi duty as half a dozen people asked, then posed and took photographs with her.
We finally got moving and made it to the aquarium at just before 4. Tasi loved playing in the water at the touching tanks.
And the kids climbed in these awesome viewing areas under the otter tanks.
We checked out fish and bugs and went on a 'walkalator' through the shark enclosure and saw statues and jellyfish and so much more!
It was dark in the aquarium so most of my photos did not turn out, but we made a video where you can at least hear our thank you to Gramma and Papa!
We were ready for some food and there was a Kenny Rogers restaurant right outside. Kenny Rogers on the walls and his voice through the speakers (leave it to me to find country music playing in Malaysia!)
They had mac & cheese and corn & carrots so happy kids! And technically American food is foreign food, right?!


Inside the Pavilion I found a candy shop that had sweets and Don's favorite Asian dried fruit - and they had samples!
Turned out I had 3 crazy kids in a candy shop! Makoa and Tasi loved being able to reach up and grab their own sweets, but it was Don who was asking me to buy him candy and it was he who was bumping into employes trying to reach the third type of dried guava and it was he who I had to send outside so I could buy the 4 bags of treats!!
He told me it was his favorite part of Malaysia so far :)

Outside the Pavilion and we took a longer look at the United Buddy Bears that are now touring Malaysia. There were bears from all over the world, so of course we had to photograph where we were born,
 and get pics of the Brazilian bear for the Fernandes' fam we thought of Auntie Annie in Peru too.
 We finally made our way through 'Food Street' on our way home walking around tables and chairs in the street and plenty of people offering us a good meal!
 

Budget:
Accommodation - $78
Food - $62
Transport - my feet are a little sore, but no money!
Extras - Thanks and Merry Christmas Gramma and Papa!

2 comments:

  1. Ok... "food street" just sounds amazing. I love the little Peruvian bear (although it was apparently the scariest of all, because no one wanted to stand by it). And how CUTE does Tas look posing with foreigners! It's a good thing she's well trained as a model already. I'd probably take pictures with her if I could too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this blog. I look forward to reading what you guys are doing each day. Thank you for posting so much and for all the pictures. I feel like we are getting to experience it with you. Love, love the aquarium!! What fun!! Koa in the tunnel and Tasi with the strangers are priceless. Glad even Don had a good time in the candy store:) You are the perfect mom and wife for the family Julie. All of these things happen cause of your planning. Love to all!!

    ReplyDelete